Physiotherapy or Physical Therapy is assuming importance in improving physical and mental health according to medical professionals at AESMC-medical center in Abu Dhabi.
Physiotherapy also known as Physical Therapy is the branch of medicine used to diagnose and treat injuries, diseases or disabilities by physical means. The objective is to reduce pain and maximize function by using evidence-based techniques. Professionals at AESMC, prominent among health centers and medical clinics in Abu Dhabi, opine that Physiotherapy helps to restore mobility and normalcy in a patient’s life as much as possible.
Physiotherapy at AESMC-Abu Dhabi Medical Center.
The full-fledged Physiotherapy Department at AESMC-specialized medical center Abu Dhabi– is proud to offer the services of Dr. Prasanna Balabaskaran- a graduate in Physiotherapy from Dr. MGR Medical University, India. Dr. Balabaskaran specializes in manual therapy, trigger point release, orthopedics and sports injuries.
What is the origin of Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy techniques were believed to be used as far back as 460BC when the Greek physician, Hippocrates, and his contemporaries practiced massage and manual therapy.
What are the elements of Physiotherapy?
The Physiotherapy Department at Adam and Eve-a specialized medical hospital in Abu Dhabi offers the following services:
- Manual therapy.
- Patient education and advice regarding pain management and disease/ injury prevention.
- Enhancement of physical strength, function, and general well-being while treating the underlying issues.
- Holistic approach to treatment by considering patient lifestyle.
- Management of chronic and acute health conditions
What is the scope of Physiotherapy?
The specialized medical hospital in UAE, AESMC, suggests that
- Physiotherapy is advisable for all age groups from infants to the elderly.
- Areas that may benefit include musculoskeletal, orthopedics, rheumatology, respiratory, neurology, sports injuries.
According to a recent article published on 10-09-2018 by the Health Times, “prescribed exercise from a physiotherapist supports better mental health.” To know more, please follow the link below:
What is the procedure?
According to doctors at AESMC, the specialized medical hospital in UAE, a physiotherapist may employ a variety of techniques, determined by the specific nature of the injury/disease/disability that requires treatment.
- Manual therapy: Moving the soft tissues and joints improves circulation, releases excess fluids from the body and relaxes tight muscles and spasms.
- Electrical stimulation of nerves: Electric currents of controlled intensity are administered to the affected part. This helps to contain the pain signals, thus preventing them from reaching the brain.
- Acupuncture: This is a great way of stimulating the central nervous system, minimizing pain and relaxing tight muscles.
- Demonstration: Teaching and demonstrating proper movement patterns to the patient to facilitate self- recuperation.
- Functional testing: Assessment of the patient with regard to his/her physical movements.
- Acupressure: Use of fingers, palms, elbows, feet or special devices to apply pressure to ‘acupoints’ on the body’s meridians. Stretching or acupressure massage is also used.
What are the side effects of Physiotherapy?
The side effects are minimal. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks associated with physiotherapy according to expert opinion at the AESMC medical clinic, Abu Dhabi.
Pain: Pain may increase while you recuperate and recover. To relieve such pain, oral pain medicines may be administered before a session of physical therapy. Heat and cold therapy may also be used.
Swelling: This is common because the tissues, muscles, and ligaments are stretched in order to strengthen them. The general guideline here is to stick to the course and complete it according to physicians at the AESMC medical center in Abu Dhabi.
An interesting article published by the Health Times on 31-07-2018 focuses on creating awareness about the prevention of sports injuries. Please follow the link below:
For more tips on general health awareness and preventive health, please call AESMC, one of the best clinics in Abu Dhabi today.