Information You Need to Know About Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes is a chronic disease. In people suffering from this, the pancreas cells that make insulin are destroyed and the body becomes unable to make insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps your body's cells use glucose for energy. Your body gets glucose from the food you eat. Insulin allows glucose from the blood to pass into the cells of your body. When there is enough glucose in the cells, the excess glucose in the form of glycogen in your liver and muscle tissue, also called blood sugar. It breaks down in blood sugar and gives you the energy you need between meals, during exercise, or when you sleep. In type 1 diabetes, the body is unable to process glucose due to lack of insulin. Glucose from food does not reach the cells. Due to this, too much glucose keeps circulating in the blood. Having high blood sugar can lead to short-term and long-term problems.
What are the symptoms of type 1 diabetes
- being very thirsty
- frequent urination
- blurred vision
- feeling hungry
- lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time
The patient may also have complications of diabetes
- dry skin
- dry mouth
- Abdominal pain
What are the causes of type 1 diabetes
- The exact cause of type 1 diabetes is unknown. However, it is an autoimmune disease.
- The body's immune system mistakenly attacks beta cells in the pancreas. These cells make insulin.
- Why this happens, scientists have not fully understood.
- Genetics and environmental factors like viruses etc play an important role.
What is the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes For this some tests are done in which
- Blood sugar test is done on an empty stomach.
- Blood sugar level test is done 2 hours after eating.
- Hemoglobin test also has two different tests.
- The criteria for diagnosing type 1 and type 2 diabetes are the same.
- In some cases people get confused between type 1 and type 2.
- The misdiagnosis is not detected until the symptoms worsen.
- When blood sugar is too high, diabetic ketoacidosis occurs and you become very ill.
- If you have symptoms of diabetes, you should consult a doctor.
What is the treatment of type 1 diabetes
If you are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, your body cannot make its own insulin. You will need to take insulin to help your body use your blood sugar. Other treatments can also help control the symptoms of type 1 diabetes.
- People with type 1 diabetes must take insulin every day.
- Insulin is usually taken through a single injection.
- Some people use insulin pumps.
- The pump is injected through a port in the skin.
- While for some people, the needle is easy to use.
- Apart from this, it is effective in keeping the blood sugar level normal.
- The amount of insulin needed varies on a daily basis.
- Patients with type 1 diabetes need to keep checking their blood sugar level regularly.
- Diet and exercise can affect blood sugar levels.
Best medical centre in Abu Dhabi
Adam and Eve Specialized Medical Centre’s internal medicine doctor provides diabetes treatment to keep diabetes in check. Consult our internal medicine doctor today.