How to Take Care of Lumineers
Lumineers are a type of super thin porcelain veneers that help patients get perfectly shaped white teeth and an improved smile. Unlike traditional veneers, lumineers do not require reduction of every natural tooth. Lumineers may last for decades but that depends on how you take care of them. Here are some of the practices that will help lumineers last long.
What are Lumineers?
Lumineers are a brand of ultra-thin (.2 mm), translucent porcelain veneers. Traditional veneers are much thicker. For this reason, traditional veneers require aggressive and irreversible healthy tooth removal for application. This tooth removal means that, as a veneers patient, you would receive shots, anesthesia, and acrylic temporary veneers to wear until your permanent veneers were created in a lab.
With Lumineers, however, little to no tooth reduction is necessary. This typically eliminates the need for anesthesia and temporary acrylics. Most patients prefer Lumineers because the procedure is a minimally invasive one.
Benefits of Lumineers
Lumineers can give you a perfect smile, improving the look of a variety of dental problems by:
- Brightening stained and discolored teeth
- Restoring chipped teeth
- Eliminating spacing and gapping between teeth
- Aligning crooked teeth without the need for braces
- Fixing the look of small or misshaped teeth
- Covering up crowns and bridgework
Process of lumineers
When you come to our office, we will create a mold and determine the shade of white you want for your Lumineers. Then, we will send the mold into the lab to be custom-created just for you. Once we receive your custom Lumineers, you will return to our office where we will painlessly apply them without shots or drilling. That’s it! In just two visits, you will walk away with a new, whiter smile.
The secret to enjoying Lumineers for so many years is making sure that they are properly cared for. With proper care, you can expect to enjoy many years of beautiful, white smiles. So, here are some care instructions to keep in mind for your new porcelain veneers:
- Brush and floss – Just as with natural teeth, the key to keeping your Lumineers looking and feeling good is to maintain a proper oral hygiene regimen. This means that you should brush your teeth regularly and should be sure to floss between teeth as well. This helps to remove particles and bacteria that can damage teeth, as well as the surface of the veneers.
- Keep to regular dental visits – One of the best ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy, aside from a daily routine of proper oral hygiene, is to visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings (every six months is recommended). This will help to keep your teeth and gums healthy, and if there are any stains that begin to show on your Lumineers, the dentist can address them and work to remove them before they become permanent.
- Avoid staining foods and liquids – Over time, foods and beverages with dark hues can stain teeth, whether they are natural or they are covered by Lumineers, if used repeatedly. Tea, coffee, some types of dark fruit juices, and smoking can cause the surface to stain or dull over time. For the most part, however, Lumineers are resistant to dulling and staining.
- Watch what you bite – Not only do you want to keep your Lumineers looking bright and white, but you want to make sure they don’t crack or break. The material used to manufacture these veneers is very durable, but just like a natural tooth, biting hard objects can result in unwanted damage. So avoid biting or chewing on objects like ice, fingernails, pens and similar items.
Dental clinic in Abu Dhabi
Adam and Eve Specialized Medical Centre provides lumineers in Abu Dhabi. If you want a perfect white smile, our dentists and orthodontists will help you achieve that. Visit our dental clinic today.