The fun of the winter season can soon turn into a pain, if the winter allergies hit you. There are so many winter allergies, which are even worse than the summer allergies. The worst part is that most of the people assume these winter allergies to a common cold and end up ignoring them, till the time that they aggravate to such a level that they become a major health crisis.
It is, therefore, extremely important to understand the difference between a simple cold and winter allergies, and accordingly get the treatment for the same. Some of the points of difference, which can help you in knowing whether you are suffering from a simple cold, or have been affected by the winter allergies are as follows:
- The biggest difference between the two is their duration. While a common cold will get cleared away in a matter of 3 to 4 days, the allergies persist for the entire season.
- In the case of a cold, you will get nasal secretion which will be discolored. While in the case of allergies, your nasal secretion would be clear and watery in nature.
- Chills and body aches are generally a part of a common cold. On the other hand, in the case of allergies, you will experience itchy eyes and throat.
Some of the most common causes of winter allergies are as follows:
Besides us, even are pets feel cold in the winter season, and therefore, prefer to spend most of their inside the warmth of the house rather than playing out in the cold. This means that throughout the day, the dander from your pets, which is basically the skin that comes off from the furry animals, will collect inside the house all through the day. This dander can cause many allergies. I will never suggest that you get rid of your pets during the winter season, but surely, you can try to keep them away from your furniture and try to clean your house as often as possible so as to not allow the dander and the dust to settle in the house.
Mold is a very common type of fungus. This fungus can be found both inside the house as well as on the outside, and can lead to coughing, sneezing and in some cases skin rashes and irritations as well. A warm and damp environment is required by mold to grow and thrive. Since this environment is not available outside during the winter season, the mold ends up growing inside, in the warmth offered by your homes. Regular cleaning of the house and the use of dehumidifier to reduce the moisture content inside the house are ways to make your home an unwelcome place for the mold to grow.
The problem of pollen is not a winter problem as such, but what makes it important in this discussion is that during the winter season, most of us a getaway to a warm place and this is where you can come in contact with the problem of pollen. The best way to keep yourself safe from these allergens is to consult a doctor before travelling and take the necessary steps and medicines for protecting your health and the health of your family from the harmful effects of the pollen.
If you are a patient of asthma, the winter season can be very painful for you. Even if you do not suffer from asthma, sometimes due to winter allergies, you can start to experience problems in breathing, wheezing problems and dryness in the lungs and many other problems are the common result of these winter allergies. There are many steps that should be taken during the winter season to stop yourself from getting exposed to the winter allergies.
- It is extremely important to keep your house and office clean during the winter season. There should be absolutely no dust in your house.
- The bedding should be changed on a weekly basis. The dirty bedding should be cleaned in hot water to kill all the germs and infections present on the same.
- You can even consider buying the special bedding’s which have been made hypo allergic. These will prevent the allergies from accumulating on them, and thus keep you safe.
- Humidity provides the perfect environment for allergies to thrive in, and hence, make use of a dehumidifier to keep the humidity levels in your home under check.
- Water is the best solution for all health problems, and during the winter season too, you need to drink a lot of water in order to keep yourself hydrated from within.
- To get some sort of relief from nasal congestion, use saline solutions only.
If, in spite of all of your above efforts, the winter allergies still manage to catch on to you, immediately contact your doctor, and get proper medicines and treatments prescribed for yourself to stay fit and healthy during this season.