When you see fluid discharge from your kid’s ear, tugging of ear, clingy and crying heavily even after feeding, the baby has lost the interest in eating and many more. You as a mother might stand puzzled thinking what’s happening with my kid, how to ease the pain, is it because of ear wax buildup or ear infection? But here is the brief description on how to differentiate ear infections from others by detailing the cause, the symptoms, prevention tools and more. For the proper diagnosis meet with the best medical centre Abu Dhabi.
What is an ear infection?
Our ear is segmented to outer, middle and inner ear. The Middle ear and the nasal cavity are connected by a eustachian tube, which is narrow at the beginning and widens as it comes to the middle ear. It is closed in the most parts, but opens in a while to equalize the air pressure and drain out fluids that are secreted by the middle ear. But this invites the risk of infections, the entry of bacteria’s and virus making middle ear the primary location of ear infection. Examine if your kid has an ear infection with ENT clinic in Abu Dhabi.
What are the types of ear infections?
- Acute otitis media
- Otitis media with effusion
- Chronic otitis media with effusion
Acute otitis media (AOM) is that type of ear infection, where the middle ear suffers from bacterial infection causing discomfort and piercing pain. Otitis media with effusion (OME) or glue ear occurs where there is fluid accumulation in the middle ear and becomes the stage for infection. Chronic otitis media with effusion (COME) is the chronic stage of an ear infection when the fluid gets trapped in repeated times with or without the involvement of infections.
Babies from 6 months to 3 years get further prone to ear infections for at least once in their lifetime. Get them examined in the ENT Clinic in Abu Dhabi.
What causes ear infections in kids?
- Underdeveloped immune system: kid’s immunity system is in the process of developing because of which they are susceptible to ear infections.
- Common cold: the cold virus along with mucus passes through the eustachian tube and reaches the middle ear. Where it stays and develops an infection. Whenever your kid suffers from common cold or flu visit the best medical centre Abu Dhabi.
- Sore throat infection: the bacteria or virus that agents for a sore throat can also cause OME.
- Sinonasal infection: nasal sinuses, where bacteria’s causes inflammation around nasal passages, which in turn can cause inflammation in the eustachian tube, as a result of which pressure develops in the middle ear and blocks the way of eliminating fluids.
- Allergies: allergies caused by airborne irritants can cause inflammation in the nasal passages, like the Sinonasal it causes inflammation in the eustachian tube.
- Accumulation of milk in the eustachian tube: if your toddler drinks milk from the bottle while lying on back, there are chances that the milk/formula can clear out to the laryngopharynx through the middle ear. The fluid trapped can cause ear infections with inflammation and pain.
- Exposure to smoke and pollution: kids exposed to passive smoking and pollution are at a higher risk of ear infections.
What are the symptoms of ear infections?
- Tugging or pulling of ear
- Loss of appetite
- Discharge of fluids from the ear
- The unpleasant smell coming from the ear
- Nausea or vomiting
- Cold or a sore throat
- Poor response to sounds
What are the treatments for an ear infection?
- Consult your ENT specialist in the best medical centre Abu Dhabi
- Do not medicate your child yourself by ear drops or painkillers
- You may use a warm or cold compress above the ear
- Elevate your kids head using a pillow
- Stop using feeding bottles
- Ear drops
- Insertion of a tympanostomy tube in the ear
- Adenoid or tonsil removal for a chronic ear infection
Consult at least two ENT specialist in the best medical centre Abu Dhabi before going for a surgery. If both the doctors recommend then move forward for the surgery.
How to prevent ear infections in the toddlers?
It’s important that your kid follow hygienic routines like washing his/her hands before eating and after using washrooms. This practice is important as it can reduce the ingestion of pathogens, bacteria’s and virus, which possibly can cause ear infections in the middle ear by passing through the eustachian tube.
Convert your toddler’s feeding bottle habit to drinking through glass habit. As mentioned above feeding bottles are linked with ear infections in many cases.
Cover your child’s ears while bathing him/her. If your kid has a habit of going for swimming, cover their ears.
- Avoid passive smoking
Kids or babies at any point should never be exposed to passive smoking as it is not only dangerous for the lungs and more, it can increase the risk of ear infections.
Protect your kid against cold and other upper respiratory infections which are related to the causing of ear infections in kids. By providing timely vaccines for pneumonia and influenza pathogens are helpful in preventing ear infections. Consult with the ENT specialist in the best medical centre Abu Dhabi for knowing the proper time period to take the specific vaccinations.
- Stay alert to allergies
If your child shows allergy symptoms to some allergic agents, then make sure your kid stays away from it, as there are chances that the allergy can trigger ear infection or cause an ear infection.