Polycystic ovary syndrome is a hormonal imbalance where the women produce more or higher amounts of male hormone than the usual. This imbalance can cause the skipping of menstrual periods which in turn makes the women harder to get pregnant. If your menstrual periods are irregular, check for the best gynecologist in Abu Dhabi for understanding the depth and medicinal cure for it.
PCOS attacks a woman’s ovaries by not developing the egg as it should have or may not release the egg during the ovulation. An ovary is the reproductive organ that is located in the lower abdomen on both sides of the uterus. The ovaries produce eggs and hormones like estrogen and progesterone, these are the hormones that regulate the menstrual cycle. FSH stimulates the ovary to produce a follicle it is a sac that comprises an egg and LH triggers the ovary for releasing the matured egg.
Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) controls ovulation. FSH empowers the ovary to deliver a follicle the sac that contains an egg and after which LH triggers the ovary to discharge a matured egg.
PCOS is many small fluid-filled sacs growing inside the ovaries. The term ‘polycystic’ means many cysts. These cysts contain immature eggs which does not have the ability to trigger ovulation. This alters the level of estrogen and progesterone (lower level), FSH, and LH. In turn, making the androgen level higher than usual.
PCOS affects around 1 out of 10 to 15 women and it has become one of the common issues in gestation years of 15 to 44 age.
- Extra male hormones or androgens
- Skipped periods
- Heredity of PCOS
- Insulin Resistance
- Cysts in the ovaries
What is a cyst?
The cyst is a fluid-filled sac that develops on one of the ovaries. The cyst is painless and shows no symptoms. At least one cyst is developed during the lifetime of a woman. For the proper diagnosis visit an IVF clinic.
What are the types of cysts?
- Follicle cyst: An egg grows in a sack called a follicle, which breaks open to release the egg. But in some cases, the sack or follicle does not break open turning the fluid inside to form or convert to a cyst.
- Corpus luteum cysts: After releasing the egg, follicle sac dissolves, but in some cases, the sac doesn’t dissolve and additional fluid develops inside the sac turning it into Corpus luteum cysts.
- Dermoid cysts: sacs like progressions formed by hair, fat, and other tissues.
- Cystadenomas: noncancerous growths on the outer surface of the ovaries.
- Endometrioses: tissues that grow inside the uterus, by chance grows outside and get attach to the ovaries forming a cyst.
The symptoms of PCOS are:
The common PCOS symptoms are:
- Irregular periods: since ovulation is disrupted in PCOS, the uterine lining shedding get interrupted every month. For some women menstrual periods is fewer than eight times in a year.
- Heavy bleeding: in other cases the uterine lining builds up for a broader period of time causing heavy bleeding.
- Darkening of the skin/ Skin manifestations: Dark patches of skin in the neck, groin, and under the breasts.
- Hair growth: the excess growth of hair on their face and body comprising back, belly, and chest. This condition is termed as hirsutism.
- Acne: Male hormones make the skin oilier than regular, causing breakouts on the face, chest, and upper back.
- Headaches: Headaches are the most ignored symptoms of PCOS.
- Weight gain: women get obese or overweight.
- Male-pattern baldness: Hair on the scalp get thinner and fall out.
For the proper diagnosis of the symptoms of PCOS, visit the best gynecologist in Abu Dhabi.
What PCOS does to your body?
Infertility: PCOS affects the ovaries by not producing the egg or not releasing the egg, thus the woman may not ovulate causing infertility. The other reason for infertility is obesity or overweight. Follow the best IVF clinic in Abu Dhabi to get your infertility check and treated.
Metabolic syndrome: Women with PCOS get obese or overweight, which increases the risk of high blood sugar, low HDL cholesterol heart diseases, high blood pressure, high LDL cholesterol, diabetes and stroke.
Sleep Apnea: Sleep apnea is the condition where there is a repeated pauses in breathing during the night, this can interrupt the sleep. This is a common state in women who are overweight.
Endometrial cancer: If the fertilization does not happen in the month, the uterine lining sheds. But since women with PCOS does not have a regular period, the lining can build up causing increase risk for endometrial cancer. For more details and counseling meet up for the best gynecologist in Abu Dhabi.
Depression: Because of the increase in androgen hormones, there is unwanted hair growth on the face and other parts of the body. This can sometimes (probability) decrease the self-esteem in the person. This should be taken in a positive manner and never feel down. Own your body and mind in the beauty it is.
How to treat PCOS?
- Meet with the best gynecologist in Abu Dhabi, located in Adam & Eve Specialized Medical Centre for the proper and hi-tech assessment of your condition and proper medical treatments.
- Make some important changes in your lifestyle and daily routines.
- Do proper workouts and brisk walking to reduce your weight, as burning your calories can save you from obesity and thus from other risks associated with it.
- Meet with a psychologist to save your mind from depression and it can lead you to a happier self. You may try yoga and meditations.
For the proper treatment of infertility meet with the IVF clinic in Abu Dhabi.