Vertigo is the onset of severe dizziness and a reeling sensation in the patient. The entire surrounding seems to be spinning during vertigo or there is a rocking sensation in the head. In either case, vertigo and dizziness can be severely disorienting and uncomfortable. If it lasts for a few minutes, then a bit of rest may help. If it doesn’t help or if the sensation lasts for a longer time, medical assistance would be absolutely necessary. We highly recommend you going for the best clinic Abu Dhabi, to get immediate and assured relief from vertigo and dizziness.
Symptoms of vertigo and balance disorders
Vertigo and other balance disorders generally induce a sense of ‘spinning’ and turbulent motion. The symptoms can include one or more of the following aspects.
- A rocking sensation in the head
- Feeling disoriented and dizzy
- Feeling lightheaded
- Seeing blurs and patches
- A feeling of nausea
As soon you observe these symptoms with you or hear them reported for a loved one, head to the medical center Abu Dhabi immediately for medical attention.
The entire business of balance and orientation is maintained by fluid interactions inside the ear. When sound reaches the ear, it is transmitted through the ear canal, to the three bones (malleus, incus and stapes) to the semicircular canals before reaching the cochlea which in turn has nerve-connections to the brain. The semicircular canals have fluids, whose motion determines our sense of orientation. If the fluid is gently swaying, we feel a sensation of gentle rocking motion. If the movement in the fluids is more significant, then that translates to a powerful sensation of movement in our surroundings. So any problems with either the fluids (contained in the part called ‘labyrinth’) or a problem with the nerve connections or any infection in the ear can lead to balance disorders and vertigo. Since the cause can be rectifiable with appropriate medical attention, you would be best advised to go to the best clinic Abu Dhabi to get the right treatment.
- Labyrinthitis– This happens due to a swelling of the inner ear canals. That leads to problems in the hearing and it affects the ear’s perceptions and hence, the balance.
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) –This form of vertigo is generally short but intense and is manifested by a strong feeling of ‘reeling’ or ‘rocking’ in the head. Looking up to a great height or getting out of bed abruptly causes it in most cases. The exact medical reasons are unknown.
- Ménière’s disease-This form of balance disorder is associated with the fluids of the inner ear. The symptoms include hearing loss, ringing sensations in the ears and the sensation of fullness. While the medical cause for this is also unknown, it is treatable as we will see.
- Vestibular neuronitis– The nerve that is associated with the balancing functions is the vestibular nerve. Infections in this nerve can cause serious problems of vertigo.
- General anxiety– The feeling of anxiety and bouts of hypertension can cause dizziness as well.
Ways to combat vertigo and balance disorders
- Vestibular rehabilitation– An expert in vestibular rehabilitation tilts your body and head in certain angles to send signals to the brain to ‘cancel’ out any of the vertigo inducing problems. The idea here is to train your senses to adapt to vertigo. We at the best clinic Abu Dhabi do offer this kind of treatment.
- Antibiotics– Infections caused in the ear canals or inside the ear can be causes of vertigo. In that case, dosage of antibiotics administered as per the physician’s instruction can bring immediate and lasting relief.
- Canalith repositioning– This kind of treatment also involves repositioning of the head to move out calcium deposits out of the ear canal (a cause of vertigo) to get relief. Our medical clinic Abu Dhabi provides this kind of assistance as well.
- Surgery– Vertigo and balance disorders may also be borne out of injury or tumors in the neck region. This may call for a surgery in certain cases where the problem is untreatable through therapy or medicine.
How can we be careful against vertigo?
The most important aspect towards treating vertigo and balance disorders is to take them seriously, just like you would consider any other disorder. Vertigo can render your movements dangerous for yourself and your surroundings and if you are driving or operating a machine or if you are in the kitchen for example, the implications can be severe. Avoiding prolonged exposure to water and maintaining clean and healthy ears is a first step towards the prevention of vertigo. It is extremely important to visit a medical center Abu Dhabi if the problem persists, to get the right medical expertise diagnosing and solving your problem.